The self-employed are welcome as members

Membership terms and conditions:

  • All corporate forms
  • No employees with the exception of partners and family members
  • No more than four partners of equal size
  • Primarily carry out white-collar tasks
  • Fine to become a member before you start your company

If in addition to your company you are employed within Unionen’s unionised sphere, Unionen may also represent you e.g. in negotiations at your workplace.

You can easily change from Unionen’s ordinary membership to membership in Unionen Egenföretagare (Self-employed) or vice versa. 

Terms and conditions of membership

All members are covered by Unionen’s statutes. We want to draw your attention to a couple of things in particular that are brought up in the statutes.

  • As a new member, you are entitled to immediate advice, and after three months you also get the opportunity to be represented in negotiations, provided that the issue arose three months after membership of the union was granted.
  • Those coming straight from membership in another union do not need to wait three months for help with negotiations.
  • You need to be a member of a Swedish unemployment insurance fund (a-kassa), Unionen’s or some other such fund to be reimbursed from income protection insurance.
  • If you want to become a member of the Unionen fund, you need to send in a separate application to join it.

The period of notice for membership is generally as of the end of the second month after Unionen has received your written application to leave, during which time you pay the membership fee.

To become a new member or switch from Unionen to Unionen Egenföretagare (Self-employed), you apply here or contact us on 0771-747 470 or at

Help us make Unionen better

Did the information on this page help you?