Who can become a member and terms and conditions

To become a member of Unionen you must work in the private sector in one of the industries unionised by Unionen. All white-collar employees at a workplace can be members, regardless of their post, education or salary.

Common professions among Unionen members

To become a member, you must be a white-collar employee, e.g.:

  • project manager
  • engineer
  • administrator
  • economist
  • IT consultant
  • technician
  • manager
  • sales rep or similar.

This is a selection of some of our most common professions – there are many more.

Some industries in which members work

  • Industry & technology
  • Retail
  • IT & telecoms
  • Media & communication
  • Consulting & finance
  • Pharmacology & health
  • Construction & property
  • Energy & environment
  • Transport & logistics
  • Service & services
  • Organisations & associations

Belonging to the right trade union is crucial to optimally being able to represent you and offer our services. If your workplace is part of Unionen’s unionised sphere, all white-collar employees – regardless of post, education or salary – have the opportunity to be members of the union.

Are you unsure whether you can become a member of Unionen in the profession in which you work? Check with your colleagues – several of them may already be members, and there may also be a union branch at your workplace. Contact Unionen for more information on membership.

Those with their own companies

If you run your own company without employees, you can become a self-employed member.

Read more about membership for the self-employed and terms and conditions for Unionen Egenföretagare (Self-employed).

Those who are studying

If you are studying at college or university and have not previously been a member of Unionen, you can become a student member.

Those who are pensioners

As a member of Unionen you can apply for pensioner membership when you retire.

Guest membership

Guest membership is offered to anyone who has been granted a work permit to carry out work in Sweden and who is a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland. More about Guest Membership

Terms and conditions of membership

All members are covered by Unionen’s statutes. We want to draw your attention to a couple of things in particular that are brought up in the statutes.

  • As a new member, you are entitled to immediate advice, and after three months you also get the opportunity to be represented in negotiations, provided that the issue arose three months after membership of the union was granted.
  • Those coming straight from membership in another union do not need to wait three months for help with negotiations.
  • You need to be a member of a Swedish unemployment insurance fund (a-kassa), Unionen’s or some other such fund, in order to be reimbursed from income protection insurance.
  • If you want to become a member of Unionens unemployment insurance fund (Unionens a-kassa), you need to send in a separate application to join it.
  • The period of notice for membership is generally as of the end of the second month after Unionen has received your written application to leave, during which time you pay the membership fee. This applies even if you are not employed. The exception is if you transfer to another trade union outside Unionen’s unionised sphere. This transition then takes place as of the end of the first month after the union has received your written application to leave. Student and pensioner members that wish to leave the union are permitted to do so with immediate effect. Please note that leaving is not possible if there is any ongoing industrial action in the collective bargaining area your employer belongs to.
  • If there is a branch at your workplace, you automatically and compulsorily belong to it, and any branch membership fee must be paid. Exceptions regarding branch affiliation may be granted for managers under certain criteria. The application for such an exception is made to Unionen’s member database.

Become a member here.

Help us make Unionen better

Did the information on this page help you?